Friday, December 14, 2012

Let's talk about mechanics.

No, not game mechanics, robot mechanics in Encounter Critical or the weird science/fantasy game of your choice. I think every adventure that I have designed for E.C. has had a robot combatant in it. If all the robots in an rpg were exactly alike it would become predictable and boring so I came up with some quirks for my latest robot design.

Imagine, your players unwittingly stumble into a robot workshop. A super, fighter 'bot is being repaired here but it still has a programing issue or two. The helpless human technicians need the broken 'bot too defend them against the player characters. Will their attempt at mechanized self defense work?

Roll d100 once per round to determine movement  of any robot in ill repair:

01 – 25  The 'bot is malfunctioning and moving slowly; no attack.

26 – 50  'Bot is able to manage one clumsy attack this round.

51 – 75  'Bot musters two erratic but very fast attacks this round.

76 -- 00  Programming works fluidly for two consecutive rounds producing fluid attacks.

I have some other ideas but I believe this enough information for now.

2 comments:

  1. 99-100 The 'bot is an experimental design and is actually two smaller attack bots joined together. They come apart and stand at the ready. Roll again on this chart for each piece.

    Yup, it is possible for one of the new, smaller 'bots to keep dividing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great addition Mik, I'm adding it to my adventure notes now.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete