Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Frankenstein!

That's, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I thought I'd dip into this classic. I have vague memories of reading it in college, now that I'm revisiting it, I hope no one has to suffer through this monstrosity to get an education these days.

It is just all too wordy for me. While I think the style of Frankenstein is just tedious Victorian romance, I can see the obvious influence on the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne. In fact, the style reminds me of Journey to the Center of the Earth. Both are written as a series of letters which convey the action and plot to the reader. For example:

"This expedition has been the favourite dream of my early years. I have read with ardour the accounts of the various vouyages with have been made in the prospect of arriving at the North Pacific Ocean through the seas which surround the pole. You may remember that a history of all the vouyages made for purposes of discovery composed the whole of our good uncle Thomas's library."

Shelley or Verne, I ask you? And, if it's Shelly, what's the North Pacific Ocean have to do with the tale of Frankenstein?

The influence of Mrs. Shelley's tale on subsequent literature, as well as society, are obvious and my complaints are as miniscule dust particles in the endless measure of the Milky Way. I've read one third of the book. We'll see if my intellectual appetite  can contain the remainder of this verbal flesh golem.

2 comments:

  1. I started reading it on the Nook but haven't gone back. Mostly because I'm too tired when I finally get to bed. Now with the nights shorter, I'm hoping to get back into reading.

    I haven't forgotten that you asked me for links for coupons online. If you drop me an email, I will send you direct links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley's Frankenstein seems to be like American politics, there are only two parties. One party loves the book, the other party could live with out the book. Mary Shelley was a much more talented writer than I will every be but we practically write in two different languages. Shelley wrote in English, by comparison, my language should be called Engrish. Perhaps I'll get lots of milage out of Mrs. Shelley's art but Victirian Romance just ain't my thing.

    Thanks Whisk, I have hit the "follow" button, nearly, a million times but Blogger just will not let me "follow" your blog. I will bookmark it too stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete